My Blog List

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Blog 7: CATW Practice 2

 When you are hanging out with your friends, you tend to behave differently then when you are alone. In the article "In groups we shrink by Carol Tavris", she states that when a person is in a group their mindset and actions are different than how the are when they are by themselves, she also states that this has more to do with the way the group was brought up, more than the way the in the individuals were. This is called "Diffusion of responsibility" meaning that the bigger the groups are the lazier each person in the group is. The people often think that they don't need to do anything because someone else is already doing it. I agree with the statement that the writer says "when they are in a group they think and act differently than they would on their own. Some examples of this would be, when I'm with my friends I tend to get out of my shell and I'm more open and willing to talk to everyone, another one is an episode of gossip girl that I watched on Netflix one of the girls was in a clique and while she was in that clique she was very mean and snobbish and when she got kicked out of her clique she became very quiet and conservative, one last example of this is once on the news i watched two sisters get beat up by a girl and her group of friends because they used to tease one of the girl in the group and when the girls friends came she acted out and became a totally different person.
 When I'm hanging out with my best friends I always feel very comfortable, I always talk to everyone and i'm very open, we are always the loudest ones on the block because we are very hyper. One day my best friends decided to stay home from school and I was all alone, my whole personality changed. I was very quiet that day, I didn't talk to anyone, I kept to myself a lot. But the next day when my best friends came back I was back to my old self, because when Im in a group I feel more comfortable being myself.
 In the news recently in channel 1, I watched a video of two sisters that teased this girl, she ever said anything back until she got fed up with it and brought a group of her friends after school to confront the girls. It was as if the girl was a totally different person she talked a lot and insulted the two sisters a lot, then the girls friends started hitting the two sisters and the girl also joined it. A girl that looked like she was of such a gentle nature  changed so much once her friends were around.
 When people are place in a group of people or friends they changed completely, they act out of their nature because they are so comfortable with the people around them. 

1 comment:

  1. kat, you made this into a being with friends or being alone issue, but that is not what the article is about. it is about behavior in groups in general

    ReplyDelete